The Gibbet Hill campus is home to Biological Sciences, BioMedical Research, the University's Estates Office, Warwick Medical School, and some maths houses. The campus also has its own cafe, serving hot and cold meals throughout the day.
Gibbet Hill is linked to the university's main campus by a path through Tocil Wood, as well as Gibbet Hill Road.
The hill itself is named after the crossroads at the apex of the hill (just beyond the campus on the Kenilworth road) on which a scaffold for public hangings used to stand. Ironically it is now the scene of many car accidents.
In recent years, redevelopment work has taken place at Gibbet Hill, including the conversion of some former mathematics facilities into medical buildings.
The Gibbet Hill site was the entire campus for the first few years of the University of Warwick's existence. The original 1960s building at the core of the development housed offices and tutorial rooms for all university departments, together with the two lecture theatres. Students in their first year shared many general lectures, whatever their subject - on the first day they were all addressed together in ELT1. The two storey building that is now part of the Estates Office was the original library.
At that time the university also occupied Wainbody House in Stoneleigh Road and 6 Gibbet Hill Road. Wainbody House continued to be used for office accommodation until it was sold by the university in 2004 for £695,000 and converted into flats. 6 Gibbet Hill Road was rented as postgraduate accommodation for several years, but is now used by the university chaplaincy.
Gibbet Hill Road contains a number of large detached properties, many of which date from before 1930, and along with Kenilworth Road, it is known to be the premier residential location on the Warwickshire border.
The university also used to maintain a house on the Kenilworth Road that was used as the residence of the Vice-Chancellor.