German Village is a historic neighborhood just south of downtown Columbus, Ohio. It was settled by a large number of German immigrants in the mid 1800s, who at one time comprised as much as a third of the population of the entire city. On December 30, 1974, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. On November 28, 1980, its boundaries were increased.
German Village has a commercial strip mainly centered along Third Street, with mostly locally owned restaurants -- such as Katzinger's Delicatessen -- and the 32-room Book Loft bookstore, as well as the tall-steepled St. Mary Catholic Church St. Mary German Village, constructed in 1868; however, German Village is mostly a residential neighborhood of sturdy, red-brick, working-class cottages with wrought iron fences, along tree-lined, brick-paved streets. The German Village Guest House has been recognized as one of the best in the Midwest by the NY Post, the Cleveland Plain Dealer and the St Louis Post Dispatch.
At the southern end of German Village is Schiller Park, named after Friedrich Schiller, which was once a community meeting ground for the German settlement. It is now the site of recreational facilities, gardens and an amphitheater, which hosts free live performances of Shakespearean plays during the summer months courtesy of the Actor's Theatre.
German Village is also the home of the first Max & Erma's.