Georgiana Charlotte Frances Harcourt (1807 - 29 October 1886 ) was the daughter of the Archbishop of York. Her correspondence has been published, but she is primarily known for the novels of Gustav Freytag and the theological works she translated from German originals. Her husband, General Malcolm had a distinguished career in the British army.
In 12 September 1835 when Princess Victoria visited Harewood House in Yorkshire with her mother, the Duchess of Kent she attended the local church service. Georgiana's father preached the sermon at the local church and many local dignitaries attended from Leeds and the surrounding area. On entering the church it was Henry Lascelles, the 4th Earl of Harewood who accompanied the Duchess of Kent, but the princess, and future Queen, was accompanied by Georgiana.
Harcourt corresponded with Wellington the Prime Minister between 1838 and 1849 (before and after her 1845 marriage) and with Sydney Smith within two years of his death. She was amongst the "most favoured of his fair correspondents" . Sydney had been a clergyman under her father the Archbishop. He writes to her in a carefree style:
"What a charming existence! To live in the midst of holy people; to know that nothing profane can approach you; to be certain that a Dissenter can no more more be found in the palace, than a snake in Ireland, or ripe fruit in Scotland. To have your society strong and undiluted by the laity to bid adieu to human learning; to feast on the Canons and to revel in the Thirty nine articles! Happy Georgiana!
Georgiana's husband had been given £500, made Lieutenant-Colonel and a Companion of the Order of the Bath in 1842 after bringing the Treaty of Nanking back to England. He was also given monies to cover his travelling expenses from China and a larger sum to cover his expenses on his return.
Georgiana died 29 October 1886 at their home in Sloan Street, Chelsea, London
Her husband led the 105th Regiment of Foot (Madras Light Infantry) from 10 March 1866. In 1881, General Malcolm was the Colonel of the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, second battalion. A post he held until 1890.