The Frick Art Reference Library
is a research library located at Fifth Avenue and 71st Street in New York City, a block north of the Frick Collection
. The Library is housed in a thirteen-story building designed by the architect John Russell Pope
Helen Clay Frick founded the Frick Art Reference Library in 1920 as a memorial to her father Henry Clay Frick
, who died in 1919. Its first home was the bowling alley of the Frick residence, which is now the Frick Collection
. In 1924, the Library moved from the bowling alley to a one and a half-story building designed by the architecture firm Carrère and Hastings
. The Library made its final move to its current building in 1934.
The Frick Art Reference Library serves adults with a “serious interest in art”, including scholars, art professionals, graduate students, and collectors. The book, auction catalog, and photoarchive collections at the Library focus on art of the Western tradition from the fourth century (C.E.) to the mid twentieth century (C.E.). The Library collections chiefly include information on paintings, drawings, sculpture, prints, and illuminated manuscripts. Known for its collections of auction and exhibition catalogs, the Library is a destination for provenance and collection research. Archival materials and special collections augment the research collections.
The Library holds more than 200,000 monograph titles and more than 2,250 periodical titles. The auction catalog collection contains more than 74,000 titles. More than 1 million images comprise the photoarchive, which contains photographs and clippings of works of art.