Fresno City College
) is a community college
in Fresno, California
. Established in 1910, it was the first community college in California and the second in the nation. Fresno City College is a part of the California Community Colleges system
, within the State Center Community College District
(SCCCD), and fully accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges
The school offers Associate's Degrees
, and students can earn a Certificate of Completion, or transfer to a 4-year university of their choice.
Commonly referred to as Fresno City, the campus sits in the heart of Fresno, near the Tower District. The college is within an hour's drive of many mountain and lake resorts and within a three or four hour drive of both Los Angeles and San Francisco.
Fresno City operates on a semester schedule. The fall semester runs from late August through December. The spring semester runs from January through early-May. Summer sessions vary. The school's sister college is Reedley College located in Reedley, California.
Fresno City College was founded in 1910 by C. L. McLane. McLane was the Superintendent of Schools for Fresno County and saw the need for higher education in the San Joaquin Valley. At this time, the closest universities were some 200 miles away in Los Angeles or the San Francisco Bay Area, and many parents were hesitant to send their children so far away for school.
FCC started as an extension of the Fresno Technical High School which was located in downtown Fresno.
The current FCC campus was the former campus of Fresno State College, now California State University, Fresno or Fresno State.
- Gary Soto
- Ted Lilly Major League Baseball pitcher for the Chicago Cubs, has also played for the Montreal Expos (Now the Washington Nationals), New York Yankees, Oakland A's & Toronto Blue Jays.
- Tom Seaver Major League Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher
- Matt Giordano NFL Player for the Indianapolis Colts (Super Bowl Champion)
- Tom Flores 2-Time super bowl champion Head Coach of the Oakland Raiders, also former Head Coach of the Seattle Seahawks, Flores is a member of the FCC Football Wall of Fame.
- Maurice Morris Running Back for the Seattle Seahawks.
- Cameron Worrell Defensive Back for the New York Jets.
- Zach Diles Linebacker for the Houston Texans.
- Rafer Alston Guard for the Houston Rockets.
- The Rampage (College Newspaper)
- City @ Large (College Newsletter)
- The Ram's Tale (College works from English & Art students)