Franz Hermann Troschel
- November 6
) was a German zoologist
who was born in Spandau
. He studied mathematics
and natural history
at the University of Berlin
, and beginning in 1840 was an assistant to Martin Lichtenstein
(1780-1857) at the Humboldt Museum
of Natural History in Berlin
. In 1849 he became a professor of zoology and natural history at the University of Bonn
Troschel is remembered for the identification and classification of species in the fields of malacology, ichthyology and herpetology. A few of the species that contain his name are Troschel's sea star (Evasterias troschelii), Troschel's parrotfish (Chlorurus troschelii) and Troschel's murex (Murex troschelii).
- System der Asteriden. Braunschweig 1842 (With Johannes Peter Müller (1801-1858).
- Über die Bedeutsamkeit of the naturgeschichtlichen Unterrichts. Berlin 1845.
- Horae ichthyologicae. Berlin 1845-49, 3 volumes (With Johannes Peter Müller).
- Handbuch Der Zoology. Berlin 1848/1853/1859/1864/1871, (original authors- Arend Friedrich August Wiegmann (1802-1841) and Johann Friedrich Ruthe (1788-1859).
- Das Gebiß der Schnecken zur Begründung einer natürlichen Klassifikation. Berlin 1856-1879, two volumes. (work continued by Johannes Thiele (1860-1935).
- This article is based on a translation of an article from the German Wikipedia.