Frampton Cotterell is a village in South Gloucestershire, England on the River Frome. The village is joined to Winterbourne and Coalpit Heath. Its parish also borders neighbouring villages Iron Acton and Westerleigh. The village is partly a dormitory village for Bristol. The population in the 2001 census was around 6,800 and is increasing.
The name Frampton means 'The settlement (farmstead or village) on the Frome'. Frampton Cotterell was recorded as Frantone in the Domesday book (1086). All the other local villages (Westerleigh, Stoke Gifford and Winterbourne) also have Old English names, suggesting they were either conquered or resettled between 577 and 1066.
Early in the 11th century, Frampton may have been under the manor of Winterbourne, a later medieval record refers to 'the Lordship of Frampton and Winterbourne'. This would have included Stoke Gifford. However, at no point after 1066 were these three manors owned by the same person.
In 1086 Frampton was held by Walter the Crossbowman (Balistarius) and then contained 10 villagers and 11 smallholders. Indicating a total population of about 100, to this total should be added slaves and there families. In 1086 there was a church which was not there before 1066 (so under 20 years old) this church was probably on the site of St. Peter's church today. There were also 2 water mills, probably behind the church (near Mill Lane today) and at Cogmill.
By 1301 Frampton had a third watermill, probably at 'Frampton Lido' upstream from the church (where remains of a mill could be seen as late as the 1970s), a windmill, on the site of the current one at Brockeridge. and a coal pit, presumably at Coalpit Heath (although this name did not appear until around 1680)
By the 13th century the village was known as was known as Frampton Cotell. The name Cotell or Cotterell is derived from the Cotele Family, lords of Frampton Manor in the 12th and early 13th centuries. Their manor house was not at modern day Frampton Court, it was probably located behind the church on the east of Mill Lane, here the field names 'Hall Marsh' and 'Hall Marsh Mead' survived into the 19th Century.
The medieval village was long and rectangular, located on the ridge between (Lower) Stone Close and the River Frome. and between Church Road and Rectory Road. Surrounding the village would have been three big fields these fields were cultivated by peasants who held scattered strips in the many furlongs which made up the fields, every year one of the fields would be left unploughed and would be fertilised by the manure from the local animals. This system would have provided for the village.
Besides these fields there were also common wastes, Frampton Common, Adam's Land, Brockeridge, Goose Green, Woodend Green, and Tovey's Green to name a few.
This system lasted until about 1547 by which time the big fields had made way for compact farms, cultivated by independent farmers as they saw fit. This boosted the village's economy, providing dairy products, cider, pigs, and turnips.
During the 18th and 19th centuries, these hamlets joined together to form the modern village. Since then the modern village has joined with Winterbourne, Watley's End and Coalpit Heath, and at somepoint in the future will probably join with North Bristol. One notable Industrial Revolution landmark in the village is the Hat Factory on Park Lane.
Ordnance Survey maps from the middle of the 20th century show open land between the three villages of Frampton Cotterell, Coalpit Heath and Winterbourne. Hamlets at Watley's End, Frampton End and Harris Barton, all of which are now part of Frampton Cotterell, were still separate at this time.
In the 1960s Church Road, the main throughfare, was rerouted, also a field in between Rectory Road and Church Road called 'Benson's Field' was sold for housing becoming the 'Benson's Estate'. This estate comprises Beaufort Road, Foxe Road, Winchcombe Road and Brookside Close.
In 1996, an area of farmland to the south of the village was sold in a joint contract with housing estate developers Barratt and Taywood. In the years 1996-2000 they built a large housing estate known as Park Farm, adding an extra 200 3,4 and 5 bedroomed homes to the settlement. There was fierce opposition from local residents, particularly those living on Beesmoor Road. This followed another 20th century housing development between Woodend Road and Beesmore Road. There are allegations of drug abuse in the estates bordering Coalpit Heath
There are three takeaways in the village. A Chinese takeaway also sells fish and chips and there is an Indian takeaway on Lower Stone Close. The Golden Lion Pub on Beesmoor Road has become an Indian takeaway and also offers restaurant facilities. The village is served by one Post Office and a handful of small grocery shops.
ADJUDICATOR PUBLISHES DECISION ON MODIFICATION TO PROPOSALS TO DISCONTINUE BROCKERIDGE INFANT AND HIGHCROFT JUNIOR SCHOOLS, FRAMPTON COTTERELL, SOUTH GLOUCESTERSHIRE AND ESTABLISH A 4 TO 11 COMMUNITY PRIMARY SCHOOL.
Apr 30, 2010; LONDON -- The following information was released by the Central Office of Information's News Distribution Service, United...