The Formartine and Buchan Railway
was a railway in the north east of Scotland. It was built to link Fraserburgh
with Aberdeen. It had a junction with the main line of the Great North of Scotland Railway
The 29 mile long railway from Dyce to Mintlaw
opened on 18 July 1861, with the 13 mile section from Maud to Peterhead
opening the following year. The final 15 mile long section north to Fraserburgh
opened on 24 April 1865
The line was built by the Formartine and Buchan Railway Company, which was absorbed by the Great North of Scotland Railway on 30 July 1866. In 1923 the GNoSR was incorporated into the London and North Eastern Railway, which was in turn nationalised on 1 January 1948.
Passenger services were withdrawn by the Scottish Region of British Railways
in 1965 as part of the Beeching cuts
. Freight trains continued to operate to Peterhead until 1970 and Fraserburgh until 1979. The track was subsequently lifted and much of the route now forms a cycle path.
Connections to other lines