– January 18
) was a Polish composer
, concert organist
, and music teacher
. Nowowiejski was born in Wartenburg (Barczewo)
in East Prussia
, German Empire
. He died in Poznań
His best-known compositions include:
- March, Pod sztandarem pokoju (Under the Banner of Peace, 1898, awarded a prize in London).
- Oratorio, Powrót syna marnotrawnego (The Return of the Prodigal Son, 1902, awarded the Giacomo Meyerbeer Prize).
- Overture, Swaty polskie (Polish Courtship, 1903, awarded the Ludwig van Beethoven Prize).
- Oratorio, Zanaleziene Świętego Krzyża (The Discovery of the Holy Cross, with the famous Pace Domine, 1906).
- Oratorio, Quo vadis (1907).
- Song, Rota (1910).
- Opera, Emigranci (The Emigrants, 1917).
- Opera, Legenda Bałtyku (The Legend of the Baltic, 1924)
- Orchestral symphonies
- Piano Concerto
- Cello Concerto
- 9 organ symphonies op. 45 (ca. 1929-31)
- 4 organ concertos op. 56 (ca. 1930-40)
- In Paradisum, the organ poem, op. 61 (1941)