After construction of the building was completed, local offices of federal agencies, such as the post office, were located on the first floor. The United States District Court was located on the second floor and at the time was considered the best fitted courtroom in North Carolina. In 1913, the building was doubled in size to accommodate the effects of city growth. The building was renovated and its original materials and most of its detailing were replicated. In 1939, the building was expanded with the same exterior design being applied to the new addition.
Federal Government agencies grew rapidly after World War II. Due to this growth, the majority of the offices located in the Federal Building were moved to rented facilities located throughout Raleigh. A new Federal Building was constructed downtown to consolidate the agencies in 1970. The facility also became the new home of the court and post office’s administrative facility. In 1978, the original Federal Building was renovated and renamed Century Station to commemorate the 100th year anniversary of its opening. Currently, it serves as a post office for downtown Raleigh and as an office building.