The Famous Players Film Company
was founded in 1912 by Adolph Zukor
in partnership with the Frohman brothers
, the powerful New York City theatre
impresarios. The company produced both short and feature-length production and between 1912 and 1919 made 140 silent films
. The name derives from the studio's intent to film stage stars in versions of their plays: "Famous Players in Famous Plays" was the company slogan.
The company operated its own studios in New York City and then opened a facility in Hollywood which would eventually partner with the Jesse L. Lasky to create Famous Players-Lasky Corporation that became the parent company of Paramount Pictures.