(b. Corvallis, Oregon
, United States
, around 1972 (Enotes Biography
)) is an American composer
, and erhu
player. He was raised in Canada and the United States, and has since lived and worked in countries ranging from Italy
Kang's work is difficult to classify, but can broadly be seen as a classical approach to jazz music with punk, ambient, and traditional folk influences. However, each of his solo efforts is almost in a different genre. Kang has also worked with musicians including Mike Patton, John Zorn, Trey Spruance, Tim Young, Marc Ribot and Beck, supporting the latter during a 2000 tour of Japan. In addition, he has been a guest musician on many albums, including Bill Frisell's Quartet (1996) and 858 Quartet with music written by Frisell based on the paintings of the German artist Gerhard Richter, Secret Chiefs 3's Book M and playing the viola on five of Laura Veirs' albums.
A recurring theme in his solo work is the "Nade", the meaning of which Kang is not willing to disclose. Referring titles include "Theme from the first Nade", "5th Nade/Invisible Man", "Theme from the sixth Nade" (all three from the debut album 7 NADEs, 1996); "Jewel of the Nade", "Mystic Nade" (both from Theater of Mineral Nades, 1998) and "Harbour of the Nade" (Virginal Co-ordinates, 2003). Branching out, Kang composed music for a stage adaptation of Charles Dickens' Nicholas Nickleby, with lyrics by Amy Engelhardt (a member of The Bobs), which premiered in May of 2006. In June 2006, Trey Spruance, of the Secret Chiefs 3, announced a new Evyind Kang seven inch record to be released on his record label, Web of Mimicry. The record has yet to surface.
Kang lives on Vashon Island, near Seattle, Washington.
- Dancing Flowers / Universal Indians [RGI Industries] (1995)
- 7 NADEs [Tzadik] (1996)
- Sweetness of Sickness [RGI Industries] (1996/9)
- Dying Ground [Avant] (1998)
- Theatre of Mineral NADEs [Tzadik] (1998)
- Pieces of Time [Line 4 / Spool] (1999)
- MBEK (with Michael Bisio) [Meniscus Records] (2000)
- The Story of Iceland [Tzadik] (2000)
- In the Path of Love (with Amir Koushkani) (2001)
- Live Low To The Earth In The Iron Age (2002)
- napoli 23 [Smekkleysa] (2002)
- Virginal Co-Ordinates [Ipecac] (2003)
- Orchestra Dim Bridges (with Tucker Martine) [Conduit] (2004)
- Socket - Jan.14-15 [Amulet] (2005)
- "Æstuarium (with Jessika Kenney) [Endless Records] (2005)
- Athlantis [Ipecac] (2007)
- The Yelm Sessions [Tzadik] (2007)
- Mr. Bungle - California (1999)
- John Schuller - Lesser Angel of Failure (2002)
- Tableland - Tremulous Elemental (2002)
- Master Musicians of Bukkake - The Visible Sign of the Invisible Order (2004)
- string arrangements for Blonde Redhead -"Misery Is A Butterfly" (2004)
- Animal Collective - Feels (2005)
- Laura Veirs - Year of Meteors (2005) - Songs "Fire Snakes", "Parisian Dream" and "Black Gold Blues"
- various projects with Bill Frisell's Quartet
- various projects with Sun City Girls
- Sunn O)))/Boris - Altar (2006) - Songs "The Sinking Belle (Black Sheep)", "The Sinking Belle (White Sheep)"
- Thilges - "La Double Absence" (2007)
- Channeling Picasso by Craig James Green.
- Zorn, John, ed. (2000). Arcana: Musicians on Music. New York: Granary Books/Hips Road. ISBN 188712327X.