City (pop., 2000: 121,582), southwestern Indiana, U.S. A port on the Ohio River, it was founded in 1812 and grew as the southern terminus of the Wabash and Erie Canal (1853), which connected Lake Erie with the Ohio River. Coal deposits and oil fields as well as fertile farmlands surround the city, and its location as a transportation hub has made it the metropolis of southwestern Indiana and adjacent states. Diversified manufactures include pharmaceuticals and refrigeration and air conditioning equipment. It is the seat of the University of Evansville (1854). Angel Mounds State Memorial, a large archaeological site, is nearby.
Learn more about Evansville with a free trial on Britannica.com.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 22.4 square miles (58.0 km²), of which, 22.2 square miles (57.5 km²) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.5 km²) of it (0.85%) is water.
There were 12 households out of which 25.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.7% were married couples living together, 8.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 50.0% were non-families. 33.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.33 and the average family size was 3.33.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 28.6% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 25.0% from 25 to 44, 14.3% from 45 to 64, and 25.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 115.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.0 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $53,750, and the median income for a family was $54,583. Males had a median income of $30,833 versus $0 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $15,746. There were no families and 4.3% of the population living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and none of those over 64.
EVANSVILLE TRIES TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO STOP DECLINE COMMUNITY PLANNINGCONFERENCE, FEATURING A DIVERSE GROUP, BEGINS THIS WEDNESDAY IN MADISON.(Local/ Wisconsin)
Aug 14, 2000; Evansville is searching for its future and its identity, and a community retreat this week could be an integral part of...
EVANSVILLE WANTS TO BE ENERGYVILLE GEOTHERMAL HEATING AT THE NEW SCHOOL GOT LEADERS TO THINKING ABOUT OTHER WAYS TO BE A MODEL OF CONSERVATION.(LOCAL/ WISCONSIN)
Mar 04, 2002; Byline: Richard W. Jaeger Regional reporter CORRECTION: Energy program incorrectly identified. The Wisconsin Energy Star Homes...