Between 1868 and 1945, three different barracks, a military hospital and a laundry occupied the site of today's "European quarter".
After the Second World War the area was occupied by the US Army and renamed Camp Lindsey (after Captain Darrell R. Lindsey).
USAFE, however, retained a small presence at Lindsey Air Station. Lindsey AS was established as an Army Air Force installation on 13 November 1946. Lindsey achieved its greatest prominence between December 1953 and 14 March 1973 when it was the host base for Headquarters, U.S. Air Forces, Europe (USAFE).
From 1954 to 1973, Lindsey Air Station was among other things home to the 17th Air Force and the 65th Air Division.
From here Wiesbaden Army Airfield was administered. After the transfer of Wiesbaden Air Base to the Army in 1976, Lindsey AS provided support for various Air Force units in the Wiesbaden area until it was closed in 1993.