According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.0 square miles (5.2 km²), of which, 2.0 square miles (5.1 km²) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km²) of it (1.49%) is water.
There were 1,607 households out of which 40.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.8% were married couples living together, 12.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.3% were non-families. 23.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.63 and the average family size was 3.13.
In the city the population was spread out with 30.7% under the age of 18, 8.8% from 18 to 24, 34.1% from 25 to 44, 15.9% from 45 to 64, and 10.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females there were 88.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $41,713, and the median income for a family was $50,909. Males had a median income of $37,833 versus $25,202 for females. The per capita income for the city was $18,693. About 4.3% of families and 6.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.6% of those under age 18 and 7.9% of those age 65 or over.
The three Germans sent to the present site were H. Heimann, F. Barteldes and C. Scheifer. Favoring the Eudora area, they drew up contracts with Chief Paschal Fish for 774 1/2 acres, from the Kansas River to the south for about a mile (over 200 blocks total), with two public squares and a park. In February 1857, Chief Fish entered into contracts with the Trustees of the Chicago Verein for purchase of the land "to secure a more perfect title" at a price of $10,000. Fish bought back on the same day the odd numbered lots of at least three blocks between the Kaw and Wakarusa rivers.
A map of Douglas County drawn up in early 1857, before Eudora was a town, shows only four townships in the county with Eudora included in the Wakarusa township.
A group of 16 men, 4 women, and some children had came in the spring of 1857 to begin settling at the site. Peter Hartig, age 34, was the leader of this Chicago group, and he was accompanied by his wife. The Society paid expenses for the settlers. Eight more men, who paid their own way, came later. The formal title, signed by an Indian Agent named Newsom, was drawn up on February 4, 1860.
The town's name was derived from the name of Chief Paschal Fish's 13-year old daughter; it is a name of Greek derivation meaning "giving" or "generous." Chief Fish said that if they did this there would never be a tornado to touch down in Eudora. There hasn't been a tornado there to this day.
The first baby born in the new town was a daughter to Mr. and Mrs. Chris Epple soon after their arrival; she was named Eudora. The first marriage occurred between Mrs. George Harboldt and Fred Deichmann in the spring of 1858. The first death was in the fall of 1857 when J. Loederlie died. The captain of the original Townsiters, Hartig, lived until 1902 when he was killed by a Santa Fe train; his wife had died the previous year.
The first public building was a frame town hall and school house built in 1860 and used as a polling place, dance hall and community room. It was situated at Fifth and Main and later moved to Sixth and Main Street. There was a jail under it in the mid-1860s.
History Committee, Eudora Becentennial Committee, 1977 - Pages 19-28