Enfield Chase is an area of the London Borough of Enfield, was once covered by woodland and used as a royal deer park. While it is no longer officially a 'place', the Church of England Parish of St Mary Magdalene, Enfield Chase, officially holds that title, which was effectively resurrected in 1883 when the Church was commissioned by Georgiana Twells and built by William Butterfield.
By 1154 what had been known as the Park of Enfield or Enfield Wood had been converted in to a hunting ground, or chase. It appears it was not known as Enfield Chase until the early 14th century. For hundreds of years the chase was owned at first by the Mandeville and then the de Bohun families while local inhabitants of Edmonton and Enfield manors claimed common rights. In a charter of 1166-89 the hamlet of Southgate, sited around what is now the famous Charles Holden Southgate tube station, receives a mention. It takes its name from its location at the South Gate of the old hunting ground, later known as Enfield Chase.
By an act in 1777, the Enfield Chase ceased to exist as an entity. The Chase then covered an area of . By this Act it was cut up and divided among the following authorities:
|To the King|
|To the Lodges|
|To the Enfranchised|
|To the Manor of Old Ford||36 acres|
|To the Manor of Old Park||30 acres|
|To South Mimms Parish|
|To Hadley Parish|
|To Enfield Parish|
|To Tithe Owners|
It was extensively deforested after the Act, and only a small amount of the original forest remains, although some areas have been replanted.
Property Hot Spot: Enfield, London - East Is Not Yet Eden ; Smart Buyers Will Opt for the West Side of This Town If They Value Fine Shopping Facilities, Good Transport Links, and Period Properties
Mar 24, 2001; Although Enfield has plenty of tracks, beware of being on the wrong side of the road. The road in question is the A10, still a...