Enfield is a town in south County Meath, Ireland, situated between Kilcock and Kinnegad and very close to the border with County Kildare.
The history of Enfield is closely connected to the history of transport throughout south County Meath. In the 1790s, maps denote the site as "A New Inn", later "The New Inn" and eventually, Innfield. This derives from a mail-coach inn
on the 18th century Dublin to Mullingar
coach route called 'The Royal Oak Inn' which is estimated to have been where the Bridge House Inn now stands. The Royal Canal
also passed through Innfield, and with the arrival of the Midland Great Western Railway
the name became Anglicised to Enfield, renamed after the well known borough of Enfield located in London (although it remains Innfield on most maps). The N4
, the main road to the West from Dublin, passed through Enfield and plagued it with traffic problems. In December 2005 a new stretch of the M4 motorway opened and most traffic now bypasses the town.
The railway reached Enfield in 1847, when the Midland Great Western Railway
opened between Broadstone Station
and Enfield railway station
(opened on 28 June 1847
).. Upon the opening of the railway, canal boats ceased all passenger traffic between Dublin
and Enfield, passengers travelling west using the train to Enfield and transferring to the canal in the town. The line was extended to Hill of Down
by the end of 1847 and to Mullingar in October 1848.
In 1877, a branch line from Nesbitt Junction (about west of Enfield) to Edenderry was opened. The Edenderry branch line and Enfield station closed in 1963, although there had been no regular passenger service to Edenderry since 1931. Passenger services from Enfield resumed in 1988.
- There is a newly created amenity park along with a small harbour and slipway at the Royal Canal on the western side of the town.
- Enfield is also well catered for people who like to have a drink with several pubs along the Main St. These include Flatterys, The Midland Bar, Enfield House Hotel and The Bridge House.
- Enfield also has its own micro-brewery, The Celtic Brew company which produces the award winning Finians Lager.
- Enfield is also surrounded by some of Ireland's finest Golf courses, most notably, The Rathcore Golf and Country Club.
- The town is home to Na Fianna Gaelic Athletic Association club.