Emmanuel Olisadebe (born December 22, 1978 in Warri) is a Polish football striker who plays for the Chinese club Henan Jianye. He became a citizen of Poland after the President of PZPN (Polish FA) and the country's President were persuaded to do so by Zbigniew Boniek, a past Polish international.
He began playing for Polonia Warszawa. He has also played for the national team. Olisadebe made a move for 3 million euros to Panathinaikos where he scored 24 goals in 82 matches. He suffered a setback in his carrier after undergoing surgery in Greece, although he still caught the attention of Portsmouth's manager Harry Redknapp, who was desperate for reinforcements to prevent relegation. Redknapp called upon Olisadebe, along with Benjani Mwaruwari, to provide the attacking force needed to stay out of the bottom three. After which he returned to Greece. Unfortunately for the player, the president of Xanthi football club Mr Panopoulos because of his personal ego decided the player's services were no longer needed. So he played only a few games. Being unhappy, Olisadebe decided to break his contract and travel to Cyprus in order to revive his carrier. Olisadebe is currently top scorer in the chinese super league with 9 goals in 13 games. Olisadebe became the first black player to win the polish footballer award in 2001. He helped Polonia Warsaw fc secure their first championship title after 40 years scoring 12 goals. He also won the league cup and the super cup that same year. In Panathinakos he single-handedly won the title after 10 years by scoring all winning goals in the last four games of the championship. He also won the cup that year making it a double.
Portsmouth took him out on loan on a "pay as you play" deal; unfortunately Olisadebe only played two games while at Portsmouth F.C.
he found it difficult to settle down and scored no goals for them while on his loan spell there. At the end of his loan he travelled back to Xanthi, where he wasn't given a chance to play. He then featured for APOP Kinyras Peyia FC
Olisadebe travelled to Chinese Super League
club Dalian Shide
in March 2008. However, he was not offered a contract because of the club's doubts on his physical condition after his previous knee surgery. After he was given up by Dalian Shide, he was offered a deal with Chinese Super League club, Henan Jianye
. This time, he was offered a contract and squad number 36. In his second match with Henan Jianye, the third round of 2008 Chinese Super League against Liaoning FC
, he scored 2 goals and was highly praised by the Chinese sports media.
, Olisadebe broke the record for the greatest number of goals scored by a Polish player in a single World Cup qualifying tournament (8). For the two years prior to his World Cup debut, Olisadebe was on an incredible run, charging Poland through World Cup qualifiers. In Poland's match against Ukraine in Kiev during Poland's bid to qualify for the World Cup for the first time since 1986
Olisadebe scored twice, leading Poland to an unexpected 3-1 victory.
Olisadebe then scored two goals the next March in Oslo against the Norwegians to secure Poland as the leader of group 5.
Olisadebe was a contender for the FIFA World Footballer of the Year 2001 receiving one point in the voting.
Goals for Poland
- August 16, 2000, Bucharest, Romania. Romania - Poland 1:1 (1:0) - 1 goal in friendly (Olisadebe's debut)
- September 2, 2000, Kiev, Ukraine. Ukraine - Poland 1:3 (1:2) - World Cup Qualifier, 2 goals
- February 28, 2001, Larnaka, Cyprus. Switzerland - Poland 0:4 (0:2) - 1 goal in friendly
- March 24, 2001, Oslo, Norway. Norway - Poland 2:3 (0:2) - World Cup Qualifier, 2 goals
- March 28, 2001, Warsaw, Poland. Poland - Armenia 4:0 (2:0) - World Cup Qualifier, 1 goal
- June 2, 2001, Cardiff, Wales. Wales – Poland 1:2 (1:1) - World Cup Qualifier, 1 goal
- September 1, 2001, Chorzów, Poland. Poland - Norway 3:0 (1:0) - World Cup Qualifier, 1 goal
- October 6, 2001, Chorzów, Poland. Poland - Ukraine 1:1 (1:0) - World Cup Qualifier, 1 goal
- June 14, 2002, Daejeon, South Korea. Poland – USA 3:1 (2:0) - World Cup 1st round game 3, 1 goal