Elva is the fourth album by the San Diego, California rock band Unwritten Law, released in 2002 by Interscope Records. With it the band moved away from their previously established punk rock formula and towards a more accessible hard rock sound. The band found success with the song "Seein' Red," which reached #1 on US modern rock charts.
Elva was the band's first album with bassist Pat "PK" Kim. It features guest appearances by Tony Kanal of No Doubt, Josh Freese of The Vandals, and Neville Staples of The Specials. The two "Raleigh Soliloquy" tracks are recordings of the rants of Raleigh Theodore Sakers. Previous recordings of his rants numbered soliloquies I-III had appeared on the Sublime album Robbin' the Hood. After the closing track "Evolution" there is a phone message to singer Scott Russo from Blink-182 singer/guitarist Tom DeLonge, a close friend of the band who had grown up with them in their home town of Poway.
All lyrics by Russo except where indicated. Music credits as indicated.
- "Mean Girl" (Ben Rosen; lyrics: Rosen/Russo) - 3:06
- "Up All Night" (Russo) - 3:03
- "Sound Siren" (Russo) - 2:50
- "How You Feel" (Russo) - 2:45
- "Blame it on Me" (Brewer/Russo/Youman) - 2:36
- "Seein' Red" (Russo) - 3:47
- "Nick and Phil" (Nicholas Wright/Phil Jamieson) - 0:38
- "Hellborn" (Youman/Russo) - 3:19
- "Geronimo" (Russo/Morris/Youman/Brewer/Kim) - 3:29
- "Rescue Me" (Russo) - 4:01
- "Actress, Model..." (John Brinton Hogan; lyrics: Hogan/Russo) - 3:09
- "Raleigh (Soliloquy, Pt. V)" (Raleigh Theodore Sakers) - 0:14
- "Babalon" (Russo) - 4:08
- "Raleigh (Soliloquy, Pt. VI)" (Sakers) - 0:42
- "Rest of My Life" (Russo) - 2:43
- "Elva" (Russo/Wright/Jamieson) - 4:08
- "Evolution" (Russo/Morris/Youman/Brewer/Kim) - 5:35
- Scott Russo - vocals
- Steve Morris - guitar
- Rob Brewer - guitar
- Pat "PK" Kim - bass
- Wade Youman - drums
- Josh Freese - drums on "Up All Night"
- John Shanks - additional guitar on "Sound Siren," slide guitar on "Actress, Model..."
- Miguel - upbeat guitar on "How You Feel," lead guitar on "Seein' Red"
- Marshall Goodman - percussion on "Up All Night" and "Hellborn"
- Michael Fisher - Indian percussion on "Babalon"
- The Allday Singers - group vocals on "Babalon"
- Tony Kanal - bass on "Rest of My Life"
- Neville Staples - DJ vocal on "Evolution"
- Raleigh Theodore Sakers - spoken vocals on tracks 12 & 14
- Record label: Interscope Records
- Recorded at Total Access in Redondo Beach, California
- Tracks 1, 3, 5, 8, 9, 11 & 17:
- Produced by John Shanks
- Engineered by Mark DeSisto at Sunset Sound Factory, Ocean Studios, and A&M Studios
- Pro Tools by Dan Chase and Tal Herzberg
- Additional production by Miguel and Unwritten Law
- Additional engineering by Eddie Ashworth
- Additional assistant engineering by Mike McMullen
- Tracks 2, 4, 6, 10, 13 & 16:
- Produced by Miguel and Unwritten Law
- Engineered by Eddie Ashworth
- Assistant engineers: Mike McMullen and Jerry Moss
- Pro Tols by Baraka
- Track 15:
- Produced by Josh Abraham
- Engineered by Tobias Miller at Pulse Recordings
- All tracks mixed by David J. Holman at Cactus Studio in Hollywood, California except "Rest of My Life" mixed by Josh Abraham
- Mastered by Brian Garder for Bernie Grundman Mastering
- All lyrics by Scott Russo except "Mean Girl" by Ben Rosen with additional lyrics by Russo and "Actress, Model..." by John Brinton Hogan with additional lyrics by Russo
- Music by:
- Track 1: Ben Rosen
- Tracks 2-4, 6, 10, 13 & 15: Scott Russo
- Track 5: Rob Brewer, Scott Russo, and Wade Youman
- Track 8: Wade Youman and Scott Russo
- Tracks 9 & 17: Unwritten Law
- Track 11: John Brinton Hogan
- Track 16: Scott Russo, Nicholas Wright, and Phil Jamieson
- All songs copyright 2001 Unwritten Music (ASCAP) and WB Music Corp. (ASCAP) except "Mean Girl" by Trickbaby Soundlab (ASCAP)/BSM Publishing (ASCAP), "Actress, Model..." by Canciones de Pesar (BMI)BS Management Music (BMI), and "Elva" by Unwritten Music (ASCAP), WB Music Corp. (ASCAP), and Shock Music Publishing (Australia) PTY LTD (APRA)
- Sleeve design and layout by Steven R. Gilmore
- Art direction by Wade Youman, Steven R. Gilmore, and Marc B.
- Line drawings by Steven R. Gilmore, based on original drawings by Wade Youman
- Cover paintings by Mark Baldswin
- Photography by Dean Karr
||The Billboard 200
Singles - Billboard (North America)
||Modern Rock Tracks
||"Up All Night"
||Modern Rock Tracks