is an area of woodland in south-west Sheffield
, South Yorkshire
, between Abbeydale Road South and Ecclesall
. It covers approximately of mature semi-natural deciduous woodland which was previously used for timber and charcoal, and is currently managed by the city council for the benefit of wildlife and visitor access. There are two roads and over 15km of public footpaths running through the woods.
There are two mills sited within the woods, and a number of other items of archaeological interest.
Ryecroft Mill was a water-powered lead smelting mill on the Limb Brook
. The mill dates from at least as far back as the 17th century and was used for lead smelting, and later grinding corn.
Ecclesall Woods Sawmill
There is a modern sawmill within the woods, which was built after extensive storm damage to trees in 1962. It is operated by a private company, but there are plans to use it as both a working sawmill and an information centre.
The stone bridge over the Ryecroft Brook is a Grade II listed building.
There are a hundred charcoal
hearths and two hundred Q pits, believed to have been used for manufacture of white coal
Charcoal burner's grave
There is a grave site, commemorating the death of one George Yardley who was burned to death in his cabin in 1786. The grave is a grade II listed building.
Prehistoric carved stone
A cup and ring-marked stone was discovered in 1981, and has been dated to the late Neolithic or Bronze Age periods. It, and an area around it of 2 m diameter, is a scheduled ancient monument