Double Bay is a harbourside eastern suburb of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Double Bay is located 4 kilometres east of the Sydney central business district and is the administrative centre of the local government area of the Municipality of Woollahra.
Double Bay takes its name from the bay situated on Sydney Harbour. It refers to the two geographical formations between Point Piper and Darling Point, which are interrupted by a miniature point in between. The eastern part is also known as Blackburn Cove. Double Bay is an affluent residential suburb.
Double Bay developed early after initial European Settlement in 1788. In the early years of the colony Double Bay was used as shelter for fishermen who would regularly fish around the harbour. In 1803 the Steel family established a small farm in the marshy paddocks that lead to the bay. The farm initially comprised 14 acres that included some of the hills around the valley. Farming mostly cattle and lettuce the farm developed and by 1814 the farm had increased to envelop the valleys leading into the area currently known as Woollahra, Bondi Junction, Bellevue Hill, and Point Piper
The commercial area runs along New South Head Road and extends along surrounding streets of Knox Street, Cross Street and Bay Street. It features boutique hotels and shopping, restaurants and cafes. Double Bay is known as the most fashionable and expensive shopping district in Sydney.
Double Bay features a ferry wharf for Eastern Suburbs ferry services