- "Dr. Robert" is also Bruce Robert Howard, lead singer of The Blow Monkeys.
" is a song by The Beatles
originally released on the album Revolver
in the UK and on Yesterday and Today
in the US. The song was written started by John Lennon
and Paul Mcartney helped him finish it. It was recorded in 7 takes
on April 17
with vocals overdubbed April 19
The song contains many drug references, including the fact that drug dealers are often called "doctors." The Beatles were often accused of putting drug references in their songs though they claimed that they hadn’t intentionally done so; ironically, the drug references in this song went largely unnoticed. John Lennon has said that Dr. Robert was actually himself, "I was the one who carried all the pills on tour ... in the early days. However, it has been speculated that the real life Doctor Robert is Doctor Robert Freymann, who supplied "generous amounts of amphetamines to people. Another speculation is that it referred to Dr. Charles Roberts, a physican in New York.
- The title of the song was used as a pseudonym by Robert Howard, lead singer with 80s group the Blow Monkeys.
- Dr. Robert is also the name of another, London based pop-rock musician.
- Doctor Robert and Uncle Albert are referenced in Regina Spektor's song "Edit" from her album Begin to Hope.
- In the video game Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines, the player may access the personnel files in the Santa Monica Medical Clinic. On staff is one Dr. Roberts, whose personnel file says, "No one can succeed like Dr. Roberts." This is a variation on "No one can succeed like Doctor Robert," a lyric from this song.
- The 2007 film Across the Universe features several Beatles songs and also employs several names from lyrics as character names. One character, played by Bono of U2 fame, is named Dr. Robert.
- In the video game Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura the player can travel to the town of Shrouded Hills where the general practitioner is named Doc Roberts, and he uses a revolver ("Revolver," the album on which Doctor Robert is included).