Pleburan Campus is the oldest campus since the existed campuses were merged in its early establishment. This campus occupies seven-hectare area, which facilitates School of Social Sciences, Magister Program and some operational units. Gunung Brintik Campus is the place of School of Medicine located near Dr. Kariadi Hospital. The largest and the newest one, Tembalang Campus occupies about 213-hectare area, an administrative center and facilitates School of Science. Teluk Awur Campus (60 hectares) is located in Jepara, 70 km northeast Semarang. The Teluk Awur Campus is the biggest of its kind in Indonesia, and currently become the home of the Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Science.
Officially Semarang University was opened on January 9, 1957. Considering its young age with the limited educational infrastructures, in that time educational institutions such as Academy of State Administration, Academy of Business Administration, Academy of Engineering (later School of Engineering) was just founded. Their 1st deans were Mr. Goenawan Goetomo (Academy of State Administration), Drs. Tjioe Sien Kiong (Academy of Business Administration), Prof. Ir. Soemarman (Academy of Engineering).
In the 3rd anniversary of Semarang University on 9 January 1960 President Soekarno changed the name of Semarang University to Diponegoro University, as the appreciation towards Semarang University for prestation in establishing the high educational field in Central Java. Diponegoro (Private) University was declared as a state university, since October 5, 1960, that became the birthday of Diponegoro University. The then faculties were School of Law and Public Science, School of Economics, School of Engineering and Normal School.