Dinga is a city of Gujrat District in the Punjab province of Pakistan. It is located at 31°57'34N 74°28'57E at an elevation of 218 metres and lies between the rivers Jhelum and Chenab. The main highway that runs from Lahore to Rawalpindi is about 25 km northeast of Dinga. Dinga is about 100 km from the border that separates Pakistan and India, the city is famous in Pakistan for meethi saunf (sugar coated aniseeds).
Dinga is an old city. There is evidence that this town was established in the 16th century. Before the partition in 1947, Muslims, Hindus, and Sikhs used to live here in harmony. There was a Gurdwara
for the Sikhs called NanakSar. There are still the ruins of pre partition buildings here. The population of Dinga in 2008 was about 80,000.
The city of Dinga is part of Kharian Tehsil
of Gujrat District) and is administratively subdivided into two Union Councils
, Dinga-I and Dinga-II.
The easiest way to reach Dinga from abroad is to fly in to the airport at Islamabad, and then take a bus or some other means of transport to Dinga. Dinga is about 135 km from Islamabad. It takes 2 hours to reach Dinga from Islamabad by road and 3 hours from Lahore. Dinga is connected to Islamabad by the Grand Trunk Road
- the main highway that runs from Rawalpindi to Lahore. At the city of Kharian
on the highway, you will take a right turn onto Rasul road towards Dinga. Dinga is about 25 km from this point, which would take about half an hour to reach. The condition of the GT road from Rawalpindi/Islamabad to Kharian is excellent, and the road from Kharian to Dinga is reasonably good for travel. An alternate way to reach Dinga from India is to fly in to the airport at Sargodha
(which is due southwest of Dinga), and then take a train or some other means of transport to Dinga.
- One of the oldest High School ,namely, Sardar Hakam Singh High School was an important school.
- Then in 1926, a world level rich man of India Rai Bahadar Sundardas established another high school which is still in the same building with few new infrastructure.
- Govt. Degree College for Boys Dinga.
- Govt. Degree College for Women Dinga.
- There is a religeous institute, 'Darul-uloom-Jamia-Rizvia'.
- Major Mohammad Akram Shaheed (Nishan-e-Haider)
- General Iftikhar Janjua Shaheed (Nishan-e-Imtiaz)
- Mian Tariq Mehmood Ex Minister Punjab
- Maria Tariq Mehmood Ex MPA Punjab
- Barrister Syed Tajamal Hussain Shah, Legal Director of Pakistan Tobacco Company Ltd and Area General Counsel for South Asia Area for BAT plc.
- Dr. Safdar Mahmood, retd. Federal Secretary/Scholar.
- Mian Afzal Hayat,former Minister/caretaker Chief Minister, Punjab.
- Ch. Akhtar Hussain, retd. Provincial Secretary.
- Liaqat Ali Ch., retd. IT officer/consultant, Wafaqi Mohtasib.
- Afzaal Ahmad Chuadhry, Deputy Secretary to Govt. of the Punjab.
Main shopping centres
- Main Bazar
- Raja Bazar
- Androon Bazar
- Ravi Road
- Thana Road
- Kohlia Road
- Eidgah Bazar
- Kharian Link Road
- Ghalla Mandi(Market of Rice & Wheat)
- Sabzi Mandi(Fruit & vegetable Market)
- Weekly Deehat Times
- Weekly Nai Haiqiq
- Weekly Times of Dinga
- Weekly Nawa-e-Dinga
- Weekly Muqabil
- Monthly Nawa-e-Mashhood
- Monthly Mata-e-ilam(For Children)
Places of Interest
- Toppa House
- Markzi Jamia Masjid (Eid Gah)
- Sundar Das Palace
- Mandar Wala Mohallah
- Fatima Jannah Children Park
- Govt. High School Eidgah Chowk
- Wisdom House Channan
- Allied Bank Limited
- Habib Bank Limited
- United Bank Limited
- MCB Bank Limited
- Bank Al Habib Limited
- Bank Al Falah Limited