, West Bengal
- August 14
at Alipore Central Jail in Calcutta
, India) was a security guard who was executed
for the rape
of 14-year-old Hetal Parekh on March 5
at her apartment residence in Bhowanipur
Chatterjee, whose mercy plea was rejected on August 4, was kept at Alipore for nearly 14 years. The execution was scheduled on June 25, but it was stayed after his family petitioned the Supreme Court of India, and filed a mercy plea with President Abdul Kalam. The family refused to either attend the execution or claim his body; it was later cremated.
The date of Chatterjee's execution was fixed at a high-level meeting at the office of Jail Minister Biswanath Choudhury. This was the first hanging at Alipore since 1993, when murder convicts, Kartik Sil and Sukumar Burman, were hanged. It was the first execution in India since 1995.
- "Dhananjoy may once again appeal to SC" - article in Mid-day dated August 4, 2004
- "Dhananjoy to be hanged" - article in the Indian Express dated August 5, 2004 referring to his mercy petition being rejected by the President of India
- "Dhananjoy's parents plan last-ditch appeal" - article in sify.com dated August 5, 2004
- "Dhananjoy to be hanged on August 14" - article in sify.com dated August 10, 2004
- "Dhananjoy Chatterjee to be hanged on Aug 14" - article in indiainfo.com dated August 10, 2004
- "Rapist-murderer to be hanged in India" - MSNBC article dated August 10, 2004.
- "Dhananjoy Chatterjee to be hanged on Saturday" - article in the Deccan Herald on August 11, 2004
- "On death row Chatterjee gets a reprieve" - article in HTTabloid.com dated August 11, 2004
- "Dhananjoy Chatterjee cremated" - article in Indian Express dated August 14, 2004
- "Dhananjoy Chatterjee hanged in Kolkata jail" - article in indolink.com dated August 14, 2004