, or simply Der Demel
, is a famous chocolatier
. It was founded in 1786
on the Michaelerplatz
. In 1857
, August Dehne
(the son of the founder Ludwig Dehne
) gave the company to Christof Demel
, who moved the bakery to the Kohlmarkt
, where the Demel is still today. The house was headed by the Demels until 1972
, when Udo Proksch
bought the company. In 1989
, the year Proksch
was arrested, the Raiffeisen Bank
became the owner of the famous company.
A curiosity is that the waitresses address their patrons in the 3rd person ("He/She wishes").
In 2002 Do&Co took over the Demel.
The building is in front of the Hofburg Palace
, and the interior was designed by Portois and Fix in a baroque