The islands of the Great Sound were part of the Royal Naval land purchases in Bermuda following the American War of Independence. The Royal Navy used the islands for various purposes in the Nineteenth Century. Darrell's Island was also used as a quarantine station. During the Second Boer War, it was used (along with several of its neighbours) as a prisoner of war camp. In 1936, Imperial Airways built an air station on Darrell's. This operated as a staging point on scheduled trans-Atlantic flights by Imperial Airways and Pan American. The Island was taken over as a Royal Air Force station during The Second World War. After the war, it returned to civil operation until air services moved to new land-based facilities at Kindley Field (now Bermuda International Airport). Subsequently, Darrell's Island was briefly used for film location work.