Dalhart_Municipal_Airport

Dalhart Municipal Airport

Dalhart Municipal Airport is a city-owned public-use airport located three miles (5 km) southwest of the central business district of Dalhart, Texas, a city straddling the border of Dallam and Hartley counties in the northwest corner of the Texas Panhandle.

The airport is not served by any commercial airlines at this time.

Facilities and aircraft

Dalhart Municipal Airport covers an area of 1,206 acres (488 ha) which contains two asphalt paved runways: 3/21 measuring 5,669 x 75 ft (1,728 x 23 m) and 17/35 measuring 6,400 x 75 ft (1,951 x 23 m).

For the 12-month period ending April 1, 2007, the airport had 22,750 aircraft operations, an average of 62 per day: 99% general aviation and 1% military. There are 36 aircraft based at this airport: 89% single-engine, 8% multi-engine and 3% glider.

History

The airport was constructed by the Army and opened in 1942 as Dalhart Army Air Field. The Army trained B-17 and B-29 pilots at the field during World War II. Known bombbardment groups which trained at Dalhart were:

  • 6th Bombardment (Very Heavy) (B-29)
  • 9th Bombardment (Very Heavy) (B-29)
  • 16th Bombardment (Very Heavy) (B-29)
  • 331st Bombardment (Very Heavy) (B-29)
  • 333rd Bombardment (Very Heavy) (B-29)
  • 346th Bombardment (Very Heavy) (B-29)
  • 382nd Bombardment (Heavy) (B-17)
  • 383rd Bombardment (Heavy) (B-17)
  • 415th Bombardment (Dive) (A-20)
  • 449th Bombardment (Heavy) (B-17)
  • 501st Bombardment (Very Heavy) (B-29)
  • 502d Bombardment (Very Heavy) (B-29)
  • 504th Bombardment (Very Heavy) (B-29)
  • 505th Bombardment (Very Heavy) (B-29)
  • 507th Bombardment (Very Heavy) (B-29)

After the war in 1946 it was turned over the city of Dalhart and converted into a municipal airport.

See also

References

External links

Search another word or see Dalhart_Municipal_Airporton Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature
FAVORITES
RECENT

;