Niederkassel was together with Oberkassel and Lörick a part of Heerdt until Heerdt became a part of Düsseldorf in 1909.
Niederkassel got its connection to Düsseldorf when the Oberkassel Brighde was opened in 1898. In the beginning of the 20th century Oberkassel and Niederkassel were places where a lot of artists lived. Since there was an arts exhibition in Düsseldorf in 1902, Oberkassel and Niederkassel became well-situated boroughs In the 1970's the Japanese discovered Oberkassel and Niederkassel as preferred places to live. In 1973 the Japanese School of Düsseldorf opened in Niederkassel, in 1993 the Eko House, a centre for Japanese culture with a traditional Japanese tea house and next to these Japanese infrastructure is a Bhuddist temple. Niederkassel sometimes is called Little Tokyo by locals.
This article is based on a translation of an article from the Hauptseite.