The village name is Anglo Saxon in origin, and means 'Coll's hill', though it has only been known by this name since the early 16th century. Previously it was known as 'Stoke'. The change of name occurred at about the same time as the village was annexed into the county of Buckinghamshire by the Counties (Detached Parts) Act 1844; previously it was a peculiar of Hertfordshire.
All Saints Church was built of flint and stone in 1861. The village has a pond and includes Georgian villas and some 1809 cottages with bottle ends set into the upper walls for decoration. The site of the long vanished manor house where Edmund Waller was born is nearby. Just outside the village is The Water Tower a 30 metre tall structure which once fed water to Amersham but is now a residential property.