On 15 December 1994, along with nearly all other councils in Victoria, the City of Williamstown was abolished and merged into the newly-created City of Hobsons Bay along with the City of Altona and a couple of small neighbouring areas.
Council meetings were held in a variety of locations in Williamstown until a permanent home was constructed. In its early years, the council met at the Police Court as well as a rented property in Nelson Place and later at the newly-erected Court House. In 1869 the council took over the Town Hall in Thompson Street, finally moving to the purpose-built municipal building in Ferguson Street, known as Williamstown Town Hall, which was officially opened in 1927. The facility is still used for council meetings by the City of Hobsons Bay, although not as much as its Altona counterpart.
At dissolution, each ward elected three councillors.
Fenton Glass closing after 102 years, Operations to end in September, with company expected to close at the end of October
Aug 10, 2007; WILLIAMSTOWN - Competition, natural gas prices and consumers with a lack of disposable income have dealt a fatal blow to one of...