Cilrhedyn_(Dyfed_parish)

Cilrhedyn (Dyfed parish)

Cilrhedyn is a hamlet and parish in the counties of Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire, Wales. It is situated in the hill country to the south of the Teifi valley. The Afon Cych divides it into two unequal parts: West Cilrhedyn, Pembrokeshire and East Cilrhedyn, Carmarthenshire. The parish church is in West Cilrhedyn.

The name is Welsh, meaning "bracken nook. The area remains a bastion of the Welsh language.

The parish of West Cilrhedyn (Pembrokeshire) is now part of the community of Clydau. It had an area of 887 Ha, and consisted entirely of scattered farms. Its census populations were: 215 (1801): 257 (1851): 190 (1901): 127 (1951): 105 (1981). The percentage Welsh speakers was 100 (1891); 97 (1931); 94 (1971).

The parish of East Cilrhedyn (Carmarthenshire) was merged with the parish of Cenarth in 1934, and it is now part of the community of Cenarth. It had an area of 2238 Ha, and included the villages of Capel Iwan and Cwmorgan . Its census populations were: 517 (1801): 806 (1851): 691 (1901): 570 (1931). The percentage Welsh speakers was 100 (1891); 99 (1931).

References

External links

Search another word or see Cilrhedyn_(Dyfed_parish)on Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature
FAVORITES
RECENT

;