In 1575 a shipwreck occurred off the Churchtown coast, the cargo of which contained potatoes, was washed ashore. Subsequently, the village became the first place in England where they were grown.
Churchtown has a primary school, St Cuthbert's Church, Meols Hall (the manor house), the Botanic Gardens and a few small shops. The Botanic Gardens was at one time the terminus for the Southport tram system, and evidence can be seen in the large turning circle at the front of the gardens. Stocks dating from 1741 can be found adjacent to the church wall on St. Cuthbert's Road close to Botanic Gardens. The centre of the old village retains much of its character from bygone ages - with the green in front of St Cuthbert's Church flanked by the two local pubs - the Bold Arms and the Hesketh Arms. This is covered by a preservation order which covers much of Botanic Road, where some thatched cottages still exist. On one side of the Hesketh Arms is the entrance to Meols Hall, home of the Hesketh family.