China Mobile Communications Corporation (Chinese: 中国移动通信, Hanyu Pinyin: Zhōngguó Yídòng Tōngxìn) also known as China Mobile or CMCC, is the largest mobile phone operator in China. It is the world's largest mobile phone operator ranked by number of subscribers, with 415 million customers (as of June 30, 2008). By turnover it is second to Vodafone, which owns 3.3% of China Mobile. China Mobile is also fifth in global brand equity according to BrandZ rankings.
A state-owned enterprise of the People's Republic of China government, it was spun off from former monopoly China Telecom in 1997, and now has a 67.5% share of the competitive mainland Chinese mobile market. China Mobile also owns Paktel in Pakistan, and in May 2008 the company also took over China Tietong, the third largest broadband ISP in China.
China Mobile is the largest company registered in Hong Kong and it is headquartered on Queen's Road. It is also the largest market capital company listed in the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, surpassing HSBC.
China Mobile's operations are segmented by province. The parent company owns 100 percent interest in provincial subsidiaries including China Mobile Group Guangdong Company Limited and China Mobile Group Zhejiang. As of December 31, 2006, the Group had an aggregate staff of 111,998 and an aggregate mobile telecommunications subscriber base of over 301.2 million, and enjoyed a market share of approximately 67.5 percent in Mainland China. The Group's GSM global roaming services covered 219 countries and regions and its GPRS roaming services covered 138 countries and regions.
China Mobile's majority shareholder is the state-owned China Mobile (HK) Group Limited, which, as of December 31, 2006, indirectly held an equity interest of approximately 74.57 percent of the Company through a wholly-owned subsidiary, China Mobile Hong Kong (BVI) Limited. The remaining equity interest of approximately 25.43 per cent. of the Company was held by public investors.
China Mobile's services in Mainland China are stratified according to their target customers.
China Mobile customers may choose between caller-pays and recipient-pays tariff plans. A monthly fee is usually levied for caller-pays tariffs (in which incoming calls are free), e.g. 16 yuan for Easyown prepaid customers in Shanghai.
CMPak has invested more than US$ 700 million in the telecom sector in Pakistan and an additional US$ 800 million will be invested till the end of year 2008.
PTA (Pakistan Telecommunication Authority) has announced that it may resolve the frequency issue with China Mobile, as it was one of the main reasons for pullout by Millicom International Cellular S.A.
China Mobile's revolution: Fiona Gilmore discusses the global aspirations of China Mobile, the telecommunications company with 123 million subscribers.(Opinion)(Company Profile)
Oct 01, 2003; Imagine a profitable telecommunications company with the world's biggest subscriber base in a home market where mobile phone...