Chartridge is also the name of a civil parish in Chiltern District which also includes the village of Bellingdon and the hamlets of Pednor, Hundridge and Asheridge. It was created in 1899 having previously been part of the parish of Chesham.
The village name is Anglo Saxon in origin, 'Cærdan-hrycg' means Caerda's ridge, referring to the fact that the settlement sits on the top of a hill. There is no specific mention of Chartridge in the Domesday Book. In manorial rolls of 1191 it is recorded as 'Charderuge' and by the late 12th and 13th centuries it has become incorporated into the names of local landowners and is referred to in conveyances.
Chartridge is home to one of the counties' top golf courses, a large Conference Centre as well as Chartridge Combined School.