Change is the fifth studio album by British pop group Sugababes, released by Island Records on 1 October 2007 in the Netherlands and 8 October 2007 (see 2007 in music) in the United Kingdom. It is their first full album with Amelle Berrabah and features production by Dr. Luke, Xenomania, Dallas Austin and DEEKAY, among others. The album debuted at number one on the UK Albums Chart and in the top ten in Estonia and Ireland, and has been certified platinum by the BPI. It has been ceritifed platinum in both the UK and Ireland.
Production and release
In early and mid 2007, the Sugababes went back into the studio to work with a number of American producers on their then-untitled fifth studio album, the band's first full studio album with Amelle Berrabah
. Collaborators on the album include Dr. Luke
production team DEEKAY
, and Novel
as well as previous collaborators Xenomania
, Dallas Austin
and Jony Rockstar.
AXM Magazine reported the Sugababes' assumed attempt to move into the American market with the album. On 30 August 2007, the group appeared on The Album Chart Show to perform the first single, "About You Now", and premiere another two album cuts. They also confirmed that the album's title would be Change.
The album leaked in its entirety, excluding the UK bonus track "3 Spoons of Suga", on 4 October. A day later, the bonus track was also leaked. When inserted into the computer, the UK edition disc allows access to bonus features such as remix versions of "About You Now" and a special interview with the group, plus wallpapers and photos. The French edition of Change is a greatest hits compilation because the album Overloaded: The Singles Collection was not released there, and it contains all their hits since "Overload" to "Denial".
The song "3 Spoons of Suga" appears on the soundtrack to the film St Trinian's.
The album has received mixed reviews, with The Guardian
calling it a "mixed bag" but applauding tracks such as "Never Gonna Dance Again" and "Back Down". The Daily Star
gave the album a glowing review, calling it "one of the finest contemporary pop records of the decade". The Times
claimed that the album was "only slightly better than All Saints
outtakes, all dated production and pop tastefulness" but complimented tracks such as "My Love Is Pink" and "3 Spoons of Suga".
The album's first single, "About You Now
", was digitally released on 24 September 2007
in the United Kingdom
, with the physical single release a week later. The song, produced by Dr. Luke
, became Sugababes' sixth number-one single in the UK and their most successful to date. The second release from the album, "Change
", was digitally released on 10 December
and physically released on 17 December
, charting at number thirteen. "My Love Is Pink" was also released as a digital single on 10 December
.. The third single from the album, "Denial
", was digitally released on 10 March 2008
and physically released on 17 March
, peaking at number fifteen.
Within three months of sales, which amounted to over 370,000, Change became the thirty-second biggest selling album in the UK of 2007. It sold approximatively 453,000 copies in the UK.
- "About You Now" (Cathy Dennis, Lukasz Gottwald) – 3:32
- "Never Gonna Dance Again" (Keisha Buchanan, Heidi Range, Miranda Cooper, Brian Higgins, Tim Powell, Nick Coler, Lisa Cowling) – 3:43
- "Denial" (K. Buchanan, H. Range, Amelle Berrabah, Vanessa Morgan, Flex Turner, Elliot Malloy) – 3:31
- "My Love Is Pink" (K. Buchanan, H. Range, M. Cooper, B. Higgins, T. Powell, L. Cowling, N. Coler) – 3:44
- "Change" (Martin M. Larsson, Lars H. Jensen, Niara Scarlett, H. Range, K. Buchanan, A. Berrabah) – 3:37
- "Back When" (Dallas Austin, Gary White) – 3:56
- "Surprise (Goodbye)" (C. Dennis, L. Gottwald) – 3:05
- "Back Down" (A. Stevenson, Tony Reyes, K. Buchanan, H. Range, A. Berrabah) – 3:50
- "Mended by You" (H. Range, K. Buchanan, J. 'Rockstar' Lipsey, Karen Poole) – 3:34
- "3 Spoons of Suga" (H. Range, K. Buchanan, A. Berrabah, J. 'Rockstar' Lipsey, K. Poole, J. Shaw) – 3:51 [UK & AUS bonus track]
- "Open the Door" (K. Buchanan, H. Range, C. Dennis, L. Gottwald) – 3:16
- "Undignified" (Tom Nichols, F. Turner, K. Buchanan, H. Range, A. Berrabah) – 3:45
Because the Sugababes' greatest hits album
, Overloaded: The Singles Collection
, was not released in France
, the French version of Change
was adapted as a greatest hits compilation, featuring their most succcessful singles including the three released from the regular edition of Change
. However, it does not feature "Run for Cover
" (which appeared on Overloaded
) or the UK
–only singles "New Year
", "Soul Sound
", "Angels with Dirty Faces
" and "Follow Me Home
" (which were all absent from Overloaded
). Also not featured are "Walk This Way
", the UK number–one charity single
with Girls Aloud
, and the digital single
"My Love Is Pink
- "About You Now" [[#endnote_A|[A]]]
- "Change" [[#endnote_A|[A]]]
- "Denial" [[#endnote_A|[A]]]
- "Freak Like Me"
- "Round Round"
- "Red Dress"
- "In the Middle"
- "Good to Be Gone" [[#endnote_B|[B]]][[#endnote_C|[C]]]
- "Caught in a Moment"
- "Easy" [[#endnote_B|[B]]]
- "Too Lost in You"
- "Hole in the Head"
- "Push the Button"
Charts and certifications