Challengers of the Fantastic
were a superhero
team featured in Amalgam Comics
for a short time. Their first appearance was in Challengers of the Fantastic #1
, though in Amalgam Comics
continuity, their debut was in the metafictional Strange Tales of the Unexpected #1
during the Silver Age of comics
. They were an amalgamation of Challengers of the Unknown
and Fantastic Four
The Challengers of the Fantastic consisted of several "death-cheating" agents, as they were nicknamed. Most of them had the alternate identities of the Fantastic Four
, which dominated most of the series. Members were
- Ace - Susan Storm - an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Rocky - Senator Ben Grimm
- Prof - Prof. Reed Richards
- Red - Johnny Storm - a young daredevil
- June Masters - An honorary Challenger and scientist. She holds some feelings for Ben Grimm, and is an Amalgam of June Robbins (DC) and Alicia Masters (Marvel)
- Tino Lumpkin - A postman who was a Challenger in the Silver Age, but was not a member in the "re-releases". He is amalgamated from Tino Ryan (DC) and Willie Lumpkin (Marvel)
Situated in a cave inside Fantastic Mountain outside New York City, the Challengers of the Fantastic operate similar to International Rescue
of the Thunderbirds
series, monitoring the area and offering help where it is needed.
Access to New York City is usually from the airplane hangar built into the mountain itself, although there are rumours of caverns leading from the base into the valley below.
- Dr. Doomsday - Ruler of Latkovia
- Galactiac - Devourer of Worlds
- The Multi-Master - An insane inventor mentioned in a brief flashback
- Challengers Haters of Evil - A supervillain team supposedly killed off during the Silver Age
The Challengers of the Fantastic were an amalgamation of Fantastic Four from Marvel Comics and Challengers of the Unknown from DC Comics intentionally because of Jack Kirby and their closeness in time of being created.