Center Township is a growing community located approximately 25 miles northwest of Pittsburgh. Comprising a land area of 15.4 square miles and a population of 11,492.
Center Township is home to three colleges, along with being one of the largest retail centers in the area. Ambitious municipal and recreation programs include a system of parks and playgrounds with picnic areas, recreation programs and a Community Youth Center.
Although Center Township is new among the family of communities making up Beaver County, her traditions go back to the earliest period of Ohio Valley History. Prior to colonial explorers, native Indians traveled the "Glade Path", an important trail crossing the future township North to South.
One family of settlers in Beaver Valley, the Bakers, made their home in 1774 in the hills above Raccoon Creek near what is now Pleasant Drive in Center Township. At that time, all lands South of the Ohio had been claimed by Virginia, with the seat of Government at Pittsburgh.
During the course of the Revolutionary War, Fort McIntosh was constructed at Beaver to aid settlers in defense against the Indians and the British at Detroit. Supplies were brought from Pittsburgh along the old Indian path. The trace was renamed Brodhead's Road, after the Commander of Fort McIntosh.
When Beaver County was formed in 1800, three Townships were created on the Southside: Hanover, First Moon and Second Moon. Later (in 1812) the area was reorganized into four Townships. One of these was Moon, the parent of Center. Over the years, other communities were formed from Moon: Raccoon Township in 1837, Phillipsburg Borough in 1840 (now Monaca), and Potter Township in 1912.
In 1914, a serious dispute among Moon Township residents split the Township, separating the heavily populated suburban section in the North from the much larger sparsely populated region in the South and West. On November 24, 1914, after a second election, the court decreed that the larger Southern section be known as Center Township. Eighteen years later, the remaining portion of Moon in the north was annexed by Monaca, becoming that Borough's Fourth and Fifth Wards (Monaca Heights and Colona Heights). Today, Center can take her place among the larger and most progressive communities in Beaver County as new housing plans develop around the township.
A limited-access highway provides close access to shopping centers, educational institutions, theaters, social centers and other retail business services. Both Greater Pittsburgh International Airport and the Pennsylvania Turnpike are only 15 minutes away.
There were 4,270 households out of which 31.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.8% were married couples living together, 8.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.3% were non-families. 19.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.61 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the township the population was spread out with 22.7% under the age of 18, 8.4% from 18 to 24, 28.2% from 25 to 44, 25.9% from 45 to 64, and 14.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 99.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.5 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $50,071, and the median income for a family was $58,796. Males had a median income of $40,495 versus $26,443 for females. The per capita income for the township was $21,143. About 3.2% of families and 4.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.8% of those under age 18 and 1.9% of those age 65 or over.
The Center Township Volunteer Fire Department consist of 3 fully volunteer stations, located strategically throughout the township:
The Center Township Police Department is led by Chief Barry D. Kramer. The Department consists of around 30 officers and more than 12 vehicles. The department also offers a D.A.R.E. program to the community as well as upholding a S.R.O. program. Headquarters are located with township offices.