in County Fermanagh
, Northern Ireland
is the home of Castle Archdale Country Park, situated near Irvinestown
and owned and run by the Environment and Heritage Service
The park was once an estate owned by the Archdale family, who arrived in 1614 during the Plantation of Ulster
. The original castle was destroyed during the Irish Rebellion of 1641
and again in 1689, during the Williamite wars
. In the 18th century, a mansion was built, but all that now remains is a huge cobbled courtyard surrounded by white outbuildings, housing an information centre and tearooms. The ruins of the old castle itself are situated in the old area of the park.
World War II
During World War II
, RAF Castle Archdale
was a major base for flying boats
(e.g Catalina), housing up to 2,500 people. PBY Catalinas
and Short Sunderlands
flew from Castle Archdale to protect Atlantic
shipping from German U-boats
. Today’s caravan site sits on the concrete maintenance area where aircraft were serviced, and a museum in the park holds exhibits from the WWII period.
- There is a ferry to White Island which leaves from Castle Archdale marina.
- Castle Archdale private railway station opened on 13 June 1866, but finally closed on 3 July 1950.
, which offers a range of water and land based activities to the public, is located in the marina car park.