) is a village
in southwestern Manitoba
, and part of the Rural Municipality
. A 2003 Manitoba Health report gave the population of Cartwright and surrounding area as 370.
Situated along the Badger Creek, the original location of Cartwright (also known as the Badger, or Old Cartwright) was established in 1879 by pioneers
following the Boundary Commission Trail
. Old Cartwright began on two town sites, one owned by Mr. P.C. McKibbin, the other by Mr. J.C. Waugh. The two men admired Sir Richard Cartwright
and agreed to name their towns "Cartwright".
Mr. Waugh's land, being directly on the Boundary Commission Trail, became the area truly considered Cartwright.
In 1885 the location of Cartwright was moved 3.2 kilometres south to its present location to coincide with the building of the Canadian Pacific Railway line through that area.
Primarily a farming
community, Cartwright also hosts truss rafter
manufacturing plants and "Ready To Move" or "RTM" house construction - homes that are built in one location and moved by road to their final destination.
Mixed farming is most common in the Cartwright area. Crops commonly harvested include wheat, barley, oats, canola, and flax, as well as some sunflower and peas.
Southern Manitoba Review
The local newspaper
, the Review
, was started in 1899 by Robert J.C. Stead
; in 1904 the paper was renamed The Southern Manitoba Review
In 1908 the paper was taken over by Stead's brothers-in-law, D.J. and Will Wallace. The newspaper is still in the Wallace family.
Places of interest
- The Clay Banks (buffalo jump), a site about 2,500 years old site, used by Sonata and Besant First Nations as a hunting tool. Hunters would stampede American Bison over these cliffs, later carving up the animal carcasses below for use as food, tools, and clothing.
- Heritage Park Museums, a collection of historic buildings including a shoe repair shop, post office, Manitoba Telephone System building, and a single-room school house. Each building contains a collection of artifacts relating to the building's former use.
- Blacksmith Museum, a fully restored and working blacksmith's shop. Opened upon request.
- Badger Creek Crossing Cairn, marking the original site of Old Cartwright.
- Cartwright Town & Country Golf Club, a 9-hole golf course.
- Rock Lake Beach, approximately 18 km north of Cartwright, features lots for cabins, fishing, boating and other water recreation.