In 1787 the Gunshot Treaty was signed at Carrying Place. When Toronto was barely a village, Carrying Place was in the running to be the capital of Ontario. Before the Murray Canal opened a passage for ships in 1889, travelers from Kingston to York knew the spot well. And long before the white man, Natives portaged the seven mile stretch and gave the place its name. Once a major stagecoach stop on the old Danforth Road (now Loyalist Parkway), Carrying Place is still a milestone for travelers as they cross the canal that made Prince Edward County into an island.