Carmunnock (Cathair Mhanach in Gaelic) is a conservation village within the City of Glasgow boundary, lying within three miles of East Kilbride and Rutherglen in South Lanarkshire, and Busby, East Renfrewshire.
This ancient settlement which is associated with the early Christian missionary Saint Cadoc, has a medieval street plan set within the lands of an estate held by variously the Morays of Bothwell, the Earls of Douglas and eventually to the Lords, Marquesses and Dukes of Hamilton until 1700 when it passed to the Stuarts of Castlemilk.
The village is a popular residential area. The village has its own primary school and a Covenanters' church, which was built in 1767. It contains fine examples of stained glass by Norman Macleod MacDougall. It is surrounded by the old village graveyard which includes a watch-house with original instructions for grave watchers of 1828, when grave robbing was a problem. Within the structure of the church is a vault where some members of the Stirling-Stewart family (Lairds of Castlemilk) are buried.There is also a newsagent/village shop, a petrol station, a tea shoppe, and a restaurant.
The village's only public transport link is the number 31/131 bus service operated by First Glasgow to Milton and East Kilbride. The nearest train station is at Busby, which is on the East Kilbride line.