At the time that CNR took over operations, the premiere cross-island passenger train was called The Overland Limited. CNR renamed this train in 1950 to the "Caribou" and it maintained approximately the same 23-hour schedule from St. John's (also the eastern terminus of the railway on Newfoundland), to the system's western terminus at the ferry terminal in Port aux Basques, where connecting ferry services to the North American railway network at North Sydney, Nova Scotia were made.
The 23 hour schedule sealed the fate of the Caribou when the Trans-Canada Highway opened across the island in 1965, allowing automobiles to transit between Port aux Basques and St. John's in 8-12 hours. CN canceled the train in June of 1969 and instituted a bus service, marketed under the name "Road Cruiser." CN maintained limited "mixed" passenger/freight train service to certain isolated communities on the island until the complete abandonment of its narrow gauge system in fall 1988. The CN Roadcruiser Bus service operated until March 29, 1996, when it was sold to DRL Coachlines of Triton, Newfoundland.