The CAF's first commander, Lt. Col. W. A Bishop began setting up the squadrons in August 1918. Both squadrons were stationed in England at Upper Heyford, Oxfordshire and later, Shoreham-By-Sea, Sussex. All aircraft, equipment and training facilities were provided by Britain. Recruiting, pay and clothing, however, was a Canadian responsibility. The British government cut funding for the squadrons in June 1919, which lead to the CAF's deactivation in February 1920. The two squadrons never fought during the war.
This Canadian Air Force was Canada's second attempt at creating a relatively independent air force, the first being the creation of the Canadian Aviation Corps in 1914. Another Canadian Air Force would be established in 1920 by the Air Board in Canada and would exist until the Royal Canadian Air Force was established in 1924.
The Royal Flying Corps provided three types of aircraft. No. 2 Squadron also had the use of at least three captured Fokker D-VIIs.
No. 1 Squadron
No. 2 Squadron