Can't Cook, Won't Cook
was a UK game show
programme that was broadcast on BBC1
from 20 November
to 7 July
Can't cook won't cook is now being repeated on Challenge weekdays at 9am
Two chefs (one of whom could not cook and one of whom would not cook) were nominated by a friend or relative to cook a meal under the instruction of a world class chef. When the dish was cooked, the nominator would be blindfolded and asked to taste the food. Following this, they would decide whose dish was best. In the event of a tie, the aforementioned chef would decide.
Then once the winner has been decided the walls of the studio open up to reveal a prize (usually a food blender or set of saucepans).
Over the years the programme featured several different host chefs, most predominantly Ainsley Harriott
. However, other chefs such as Kevin Woodford
, Lesley Waters
, Richard Cawley
, Tony Tobin
occasionally took on the role.
Can't Smeg, Won't Smeg
One special episode aired under the name "Can't Smeg, Won't Smeg" as part of the 10th anniversary of the Red Dwarf
series; this can be seen on the Series IV DVD. The Red Dwarf
cast participated in the show entirely in character. Ainsley Harriott
, the host chef for the episode, had previously performed a small role in the Red Dwarf
episode Emohawk: Polymorph II
. Lister and Kryten face off against Rimmer and Duane Dibbley as the host of Can't Cook, Won't Cook teaches the teams how to cook a curry with Kristine Kochanski as taste test judge.
- In 1999 can't cook won't cook red nose day The doors to the studio wouldn't open and Ainsley Harriot had to squeeze through the partly opened door.
- In one episode Kevin woodford's Flambe failed to ignite
- Roy wood appeared on the show and got his beard stuck in a food blender
- The studio was set up like a messy kitchen with Giant takeaway boxes and messy food in the background of the set
- The opening titles featured food being burned,poured splattered,threw everywhere.
There have been several cookbooks based on the series written and a board game based on the series made.