Established in 1896, Campion Hall was named after Edmund Campion, an English Jesuit and martyr who had been a fellow at nearby St. John's College. It is run by the Society of Jesus and exists specifically to allow those with a commitment to the religious life to study within the university. Admission is open to members of other Roman Catholic orders, but not normally to laymen.
The hall itself is located in Brewer Street off St Aldate's, close to Pembroke College. The present structure was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, who was also responsible for New Delhi, and opened in 1935.