The Holy Hermitage and Monastery of Camaldoli is situated in a thousand year-old forest in the Tuscan Apennines. It was founded between 1024 and 1025 by Saint Romuald, a Benedictine monk, with the permission of Tedald, Bishop of Arezzo.
In the monastery of Camaldoli there is a welcoming room, a great hall, and an old style pharmacy, which originally was a laboratory where friars studied and used medicinal spices and plants to cure the sick in the old hospital and which can be visited today. The precious walnut decor dates back to 1543. The church, meanwhile, was constructed in the Baroque style and contains works by Giorgio Vasari.
A few kilometers away is the retreat of Camaldoli, known as Eremo di Camaldoli, which came into being shortly after the establishment of the monastery in order to host monks who were willing to give up their everyday lives for lives of silence and reflection in the middle of the forest.