The approach spans were replaced 1898 - 1900, and the river spans were replaced 1904 - 1905. The original piers were retained. One channel span was replaced in 1972 after a barge transporting gasoline struck the channel pier.
The bridge was a part of the B&O's Baltimore - St. Louis mainline and offered the railroad easy access to Ohio in transporting coal and other materials to the east coast. Currently the bridge handles traffic on CSX Transportation's Marietta Subdivision.