C.I.D. is a 1956 Indian Hindi film. Produced by Guru Dutt, it was directed by Raj Khosla. It stars Dev Anand, Shakila, Johnny Walker, K. N. Singh and Waheeda Rehman. The movie was a crime thriller and has Dev playing a police inspector investigating a case. The music is by O. P. Nayyar and the lyrics by Majrooh Sultanpuri and Jaan Nissar Akhtar.
- Dev Anand and Guru Dutt were friends when they struggled to get a break in films, and had promised each other that Dev would give Guru Dutt a film to direct (which he did with Baazi) and Guru Dutt would cast Dev as a hero and direct him. As Guru Dutt did not direct C.I.D. he could fulfil only half his promise.
- Guru Dutt had spotted Waheeda Rehman in a Telugu movie and cast her in Pyaasa, but gave her a key supporting role in C.I.D. to prepare her for Pyaasa.
- Guru Dutt had reportedly gifted Raj Khosla a swanky foreign car after the success of C.I.D.
- The choreography of this film was done by Zohra Sehgal - now famous for her ‘granny’ roles (Veer-Zaara, Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham, Cheeni Kum).
- The costumes were credited to a Bhanumati, who is better known as Bhanu Athaiya.
- Assisting Raj Khosla on C.I.D. were Pramod Charavorty and Bhappi Sonie who went on to become successful directors in their own right.
- One of the lyricists was Jaan Nissar Akhtar, father of Javed Akhtar
- The scriptwriter was Inder Raj Anand, father of actor-filmmaker Tinnu Anand.