British Railways Class D16/2
was a class of prototype diesel locomotive
built by BR at Ashford Works
and introduced in 1950-1951, with a third example being introduced in 1954. They had been designed by Oliver Bulleid
for the Southern Railway
before the 1948 nationalisation but did not appear until after nationalisation. The diesel engine
and transmission were supplied by the English Electric
company but the Bulleid influence was obvious. The box-like body style closely resembled Bulleid's electric locomotives
and was quite different from the usual English Electric style, typified by British Rail Class D16/1
The original locomotives, numbered 10201 and 10202, worked services on the Southern Region of British Railways
. They were transferred to Camden
depot in the London Midland Region
in April 1955.
Number 10203 was outshopped from Brighton works in March 1954, its modified engine giving a power output of 2,000 hp. It was trialled on the Southern Region before joining its sisters on the London Midland, being allocated to Willesden depot.
All three locomotives were non-standard with regards to spare parts and servicing and they were withdrawn at the end of 1963. They were scrapped at Cashmore's at Great Bridge in 1968.
- Bogie wheelbase (rigid): 16 ft 0 in
- Bogie wheelbase (total): 21 ft 6 in
- Bogie pivot centres: 28 ft 6 in
- Sanding equipment: Pneumatic
- Heating boiler: Spanner
- Cylinder bore: 10 in
- Piston stroke: 12 in
- Number of traction motors: 6
- Traction motor type: EE 519-4D
- Gear ratio: Originally 17:65, amended to 19:61
- Cooling water capacity: 280 gal
- Lub oil capacity: 16 gal
- Boiler water capacity: 880 gal
- Boiler fuel capacity: From main supply
- Stephens, Robert (1988). Diesel Pioneers. Atlantic Transport. ISBN 0-906-89929-X.